If I have potato and peas available at home and dish needs to be made quick, Aloo Matar Masala is my go to recipe.
After marriage When I started cooking, I used to start cooking around 8 AM because my cab would be at my doorstep around 10.30 AM so I had to finish cooking early so that my help can clean the dishes before I lock the house.
So, most of the time I preferred simple and yet delicious recipes; this recipe was always very handy !!
Potato peas Gravy can go well with Roti or Rice and Dal.
If I have vegetarian guests coming in and I want to arrange a very quick complete meal may be in just 1 hr time, prefer to make Phulka, Rice, Dal and Aloo Matar masala; will serve with store bought Snacks like Chips and ice cream for dessert.
Take a look at my cooking video of Aloo Matar masala recipe here
- Peas 1 cup
- Potato ( half boiled) 4
- Turmeric ¼ Tsp.
- Onion 2
- Ginger 1 inch
- Garlic 1 pod
- Tomato 2
- Oil 2 Tbsp.
- Bay leaf 1
- Cinnamon 1 inch
- Cloves 2
- Cardamom 1
- Red chili powder 1 Tsp
- Coriander powder 1 Tsp
- Garam Masala ½ Tsp
- Chop onion garlic and ginger finely or you can grind them all together.
- Puree the tomatoes in blender or in grinder
- Heat a Kadai/wok add 2 Tbsp. Oil, add whole spices which are listed under temper and sauté for 10 sec till aroma releases, add onion garlic and ginger combo, sauté till golden brown.
- Once the onion turned to golden brown, add tomato puree, sauté till raw smell leaves (add salt at this stage to quicken the process)
- Now, add spice powders (except garam masala which we will add at the end), turmeric and salt; combine well.
- Add potato (half boiled) mix well and water cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add peas and cook for 5 minutes more.
- At the end stir in the Garam masala, transfer the dish to serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves
Use Ginger and Garlic paste if you have them in handy.
You can add more tomato and adjust the spices to get more gravy.