When I started learning Medu vada recipe, Vada’s shape and Batter consistency are I worried the most. Grinding batter to the right consistency is the key, if you get it wrong you can still make tasty vada, Check my notes on how.
Also to get the right shape check my video, where it shows little trick of playing with your thumb.
Initial stages whenever I don’t get the right shapes, I used to drop them in shape of Bonda’s of bite size, what I call them as Vada bites, you can use the same trick; In case if you don’t get the right shape. I feel Medu Vada bytes is little modern; kids will love them with ketchup.
Grind the Urad dal with as less water as possible, if the batter is loose, then vada absorbs a lot of oil while frying them, gradually mix the rice powder to batter, and combine well to get the right constancy.
You can eat Medu vada with lot of accompaniments, few of them are
Dunk vada’s in bowl of Tasty Sambar
Delicious Vadas with Coconut chutney
Chilled & Tempered Curd
Of course needless to mention about Idly and Pongal
Watch the video here
- 1 Cup Urad Dal
- 1½ Tsp Salt
- As needed Rice Flour ( Depends on Batter)
- 15-20 Shallots or 1 Big onion
- Few curry leaves
- 2 Green Chili
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp Jeera
- Rinse and Soak Urad dal for minimum 1 hr
- Grind Urad dal in Wet grinder or mixer, use as less water as possible
- Grind till fluffy texture
- Combine all the ingredients under chop and crush section to Urad dal batter with salt, mix well.
- Take combined urad dal batter in batches, mix Rice floor to get nice firm consistency. I Recommend batches because once you fry and taste you can adjust the batter in the nex batch to get spot on Vadas
- Apply water to hands and take small portions of batter, form round shape and dip thumb in water and create
holeat the center.
- Drop the vada's in hot oil carefully.
mix rice flour to get right consistency also it makes vada crispy
Quanatity of rice floor varies based on batter consistency I used little less than ½ cup of rice floor.