Fish kuzhambu (curry) is easy to make and this is the recipe which my mother in law and most of my family members follow.
It’s the traditional style of making Fish curry in South region of Tamilnadu.
It tastes best next day, I generally make fish curry on Saturday and we enjoy it on Sunday.
It tastes best with Dosa, dosa should be made little thick, dunk dosa’s in Fish curry which is made a day before, trust me it may not be sounding good but it tastes delicious.
Just a few tips, if you are cooking fish curry for the first time, before adding fish to the curry ensure your masala is cooked well and no raw aroma traces in curry.
After adding fish, stir the curry occasionally and gently; fish gets cooked fast and fish slices will break easily; so the goal is not to over cook fish.
Watch the video here
- 400g Fish
- 1 Big Lemon size Tamarind
- 10 Shallots
- 2 Tomato
- 10 pearls Garlic
- 1 Cup Coconut
- 1½ Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 3 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- ½ Tsp Turmeric
- 2 Tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 Tsp mustard seeds
- ½ Methi seeds/Fenugreek seeds
- Few curry leaves
- 3-4 shallots (chopped )
- Grind the ingredients which are listed under Grind section and make a paste.
- In a pot, combine Tamarind paste, shallots, tomato, salt and Garlic, cook till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the grounded masala, combine well. cook till raw aroma leaves and masala start to thicken, takes about10 to 12 minutes on medium flame.
- At this stage, add fish and stir gently, cook for 5 t 8 minutes, you will strat seeing oil floating on top of the curry.
- Heat sesame oil and add the remaining ingredients listed under the tempered section, pour it on fish curry.
- Fish curry is ready! serve next day.