We all crave for snacks, don’t we ??? .. when we want to make quick snack without looking for any specific ingredients, being aware of a recipe like Assamese savory kordoi helps. Kordoi is from Assam, Kordoi is generally sweet recipe and this a savory twist to the traditional kordoi. Making Savoury kordoi is easy and simple and we can play with its endless flavors.
It tastes like crunchy papdi, we can add a lot of variations to this recipe, few suggestions are kordoi chat and kordoi dahi chat etc .
Credits to Aarthi Sharma for sharing the recipe.
You can go ahead and give your own twist to the flavors, I suggest not to skip ajwain, jeera and onion.
Serve kordoi as an evening snack with ketchup or chutney.
Watch Kordoi making video here
- ½ cup Whole Wheat flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Onion , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Coriander leaves (Dhania) , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Carrot , grated
- ⅓ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ⅓ teaspoon Carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 2 teaspoons Ghee , for making dough
- Cooking oil , to deep fry
- Salt , to taste
- To prepare Savoury Kordoi Recipe (Assamese Star Fruit Shaped Snack Recipe), in a mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour, chopped onion, coriander leaves, grated carrot, cumin seeds, carom seeds, ghee and salt.
- Rub all the ingredients together.
- Sprinkle water little by little and make a stiff dough and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal balls of big gooseberry size. shape into balls and flatten them.
- Roll the ball into a thin disc around 3 inches on a floured surface.
- With a sharp knife, cut straight lines, making sure not to cut all the way through. We need the uppermost and bottommost centimeter of the pastry dough to be intact.
- From one end, start to make a roll, pinching the ends to bind. Push the two ends of the shaped kordoi gently to plump the middle.
- Deep fry in batches until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve hot with or green chutney and date and tamarind chutney.