Mughalai Cuisine is knowns for its Rich flavors of spices and nuts, Chicken Hariyali korma is one such, Rich, mild spice and creamy gravy which makes any meal exotic and special.
It has the aroma of fresh spices and it’s a gravy, which has the perfect balance of spice, greens, and nuts.
We all might have tried a lot of chicken recipes, but if you haven’t tried Chicken Hariyali, I guarantee you it doesn’t disappoint your decision of making one.
Enjoy Chicken Haryali with roti, naan or any pulao of your choice.
Here is video of Chicken Hariyali korma
- 750 , chicken on bone, cut in medium sized pieces
- 200 gms, thick yogurt, whisked well
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- ¼ teaspoon, turmeric powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 inch stick of cinnamon
- 10, raisins
- ¼ cup, cream
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- juice of 1 medium lemon
- Salt as per taste
- A pinch of Saffron soaked in 2 tablespoon of warm milk
- 5 tablespoons of oil
- 3 tablespoons of ghee
- 1 cup, coriander leaves, tightly packed
- ¼ cup, mint leaves, tightly packed
- 3-4 green chilies
- 2-inch piece of ginger, roughly chopped
- 8-10, garlic cloves
- 1 & ½ teaspoon, poppy seeds
- 8-10, almonds, blanched and peeled
- 1 teaspoon, cumin seeds
- 4 green cardamom
- ½ blade of mace
- 3 cloves
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- Golden fried onion
- Dry roast all the ingredients listed under Dry roast and powder section and make coarse powder.
- Soak almond in hot water for 30 minutes peel off its skin, soak poppy seeds in 2 Tablespoon of water.
- Grind all the ingredients in Masala paste section.
- Clean and wash chicken pieces well
- In a large heavy bottom pan, heat oil. Add finely sliced onions and fry them until golden brown and crisp. Take them out, place them onto absorbent paper and keep them aside. Reserve the oil for later use.
- In a large bowl, combine whisked yogurt, cream, green masala paste, ground dry spice powder, some salt, crushed golden fried onions ( reserve some for garnish). Cover and keep it marinated under refrigeration for 45 minutes - 1 hr.
- In a same heavy bottom pan (used to fry onions), heat oil and ghee together.
- Add bay leaves, cinnamon stick and fry them for few seconds.
- Add only marinated chicken pieces and sauté them for 3-4 minutes on high heat.
- Now, keep adding a little of marinade and stir fry.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, raisins, saffron soaked milk cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until chicken is just tender. Do not over cook them.
- Lastly add lemon juice, sugar and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Dish out, garnish with coriander, mint leaves, fried onions, and cream. Serve hot with nan/paratha or pulao of your choice
It's a mild spice gravy, add extra green chilies if it's needed.