Aloo Bhujia or Potato Sev Recipe – a popular crisp savory snack made from mashed potatoes, chickpea flour, and spices.
You could make them as a Diwali snack or make as a side snack for kids. These are quite easy to make at home also you could make in bulk quantities and then store them for future use.
Here is video of Potato Sev
- Chickpea flour/ besan – 1 cup, heaped
- Rice flour – ¼ cup
- Potato – 1, large
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Oil – to deep fry
- Salt – as needed
- Chaat masala – to sprinkle
- First, grind boiled potato to a paste.
- In a mixing bowl, add besan, rice flour, pepper powder, turmeric, red chilli powder and mix well. Add the ground paste and make a smooth non sticky dough. Grease hands well with oil if too sticky.
- Take murukku press with sev/ omapodi plate and grease the inside well with oil. Fill with the prepared dough.
- Heat enough oil in a kadai. Once hot, put the flame to medium and immediately squeeze a layer, spread in the oil. Do not layer more than one as it will not turn crispy. Once bubble reduces, flip and cook for ½ minute.
- Drain over paper towel. Repeat to finish the dough.
Add water carefully while grinding. If you add more, then dough will be sticky.
If the dough is too sticky, add more besan and rice flour. And if too dry, sprinkle with water.
Greasing the sides makes it easy to squeeze.
Make sure to squeeze the sev in enough oil, otherwise, it will get browned.
when making in large quantities, top with oil when oil level decreases.
Do not layer more than one in the oil while squeezing.
Cook in medium flame, then again heat oil in high before squeezing next batch. Regulate heat throughout.