Bakeries in Bangalore are famous for these Khara buns, these buns are soft, slightly spicy and have a lovely flavour from the onions and Chillies. These buns would be great with a bowl of warm soup or along with your tea or coffee.
There is a substitute for an egg:
For one egg : • 2 tbsp water + 1/2 tsp oil + 1/2 tsp baking powder + 2 tbsp flour. Stir until combined and mix with other ingredients for the dough.
- 1 teaspoon Active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons fine granulated sugar
- ½ cup warm milk
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour / Maida
- 3 tablespoons soft unsalted butter (oil will work too)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Onion
- 1½ Tablespoon Green Chillie paste
- ¼ Coriander leaves (chopped)
- Take a large bowl and add yeast, sugar, and milk; give a good mix.
- Now add whisked egg and then flour to the bowl again give a good mix.
- Once the flour is mixed with the liquids, add salt and remaining ingredients.
- After adding all the ingredients, start kneading the dough.
- You can knead it in the bowl or you could transfer to work surface and then knead
- Knead it for 10 to 15 mins, till the dough has the texture of elasticity ( please check the video).
- After dough has been kneaded for 10 mins to 15 mins, transfer to a bowl which has been greased with oil.
- Rest for the dough for minimum 90 mins.
- After 90 mins, the dough would have been doubled.
- Transfer the dough to work surface which has been dusted with flour and make equal portions of the dough, this recipe will yield 8 medium size buns.
- Once it has been divided equally, roll the dough to oval shape and roll them like swiss rolls ( check the video).
- Place this rolled dough on a baking pan, which has been covered with a greased baking sheet.
- Once all the dough portions are rolled and place on baking pan, allow it to rest for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 180' c for at least 15 mins.
- After 30 mins, the dough would have raised again, now brush the top of the buns with whisked egg and place the baking pan inside the oven and bake for 15 to 20 mins.
- Hot and Fresh savory buns are ready.